PM Switch

Custom Search 1

Other Language

Text Size

  • Increase
  • Decrease

Current Size: 100%

Switch Theme

The Building

In year 1964, the Penang State Museum and Art Gallery has been established and was officially opened by the first Governor of Penang,late Tunku Abdul Rahman Putra Al-Haj on 14 April 1965.Penang State Museum was established under 1972 State Enactment which has been approved by the State Council in year 1972.

A school was established in year 1817 with the donations given by the East India Company under the supervision of Captain Robert Smith (the Royal Engineer). Lieutenan Smith has prepared a building plan for a school that can accommodate 100 boys and 50 girls. It was named as Penang free school, the second educational institutions after the record said that a small college was founded as a Language school while later became the English school in year 1787.

Penang free school occupied this building from year 1897 until 1927. After the Penang Free school has been move to other building in Green Lane, it was taken over by Hutchings school in January 1928.

In year 1964, this building has been turned into a museum and art gallery on the recommendations of late Tunku Abdul Rahman Putra Al-Haj, Malaysia's First Prime Minister as there is no any building with the collections of Penang local heritage materials at that time.

Penang State Museum building is recognized as a heritage building under the Heritage Act 2005.

Featured Collections

Baba Nyonya
Chowrasta Market
Brass Kettle
Jail Road
China Street
Pitt Street
Malay Weapon - Kris
Malay
King Street